Friday, June 5, 2015

Son Sestina

Mornings with Boys

At 5:17am, from behind the leftover nighttime, a voice
squeaks, “Mom.” I blink my eyes, and put out a hand
“I can’t find my slippers,” he explains, as if cold feet
woke him up. “Climb in with me,” I say and pull him into
my blankets. His knees poke my stomach, his body
folds into mine and the warmth is a wall. The clink of cars

near my cheek, tiny lead-based paint hot wheel cars
snuck into bed with the special, whispering voice 
narrating their adventures. I roll away, my body 
turning from their games. He makes them talk, his hands
dancing them in the air above the blanket, cars into 
planes into buddies. And then he's out. Running feet

into the hall and down the stairs. I put my feet 
down first and look for slippers, stepping on a car
and recoiling. Already a day of toys turning into
weapons. Shower curtain pulled back, my hand
turns on the hot water, waiting for the steam. My body

hasn’t breathed yet. I step in gingerly, feeling like a body
of water drowning. The water so hot it’s cold stabs my feet
and I lean around the stream to adjust, my hand
catching the heat. Counting the attacks – first the cars,
then the water, next comes the tiny, fat fingers and voice
pulling back the curtain: “Momma.” I dip my head into

water. “Momma?” comes again with a diapered bottom into
the bath. His hair is curling, his toes are soapy, and his body
fits between my legs. I pump shampoo and a downstairs voice
asks, “Is Sullivan with you?” Below me he stomps his feet,
splashing and popping bubbles, then squatting and making car
noises. “Yes,” I call, scratching my scalp and rinsing my hands.

 “Dat,” he says and I try to look through the soap, his hand
pointing at me. And before I can stop it, a soapy finger into
my belly button. I fold in, calf hitting the spout, the day’s car
nage amassing. The reminder of “This is not my body”
since it was inhabited by others. I watch the soap around my feet,
gather my calm and attempt to use my kindest mother voice.

With my hands I lift him out, the weight of his almost two-year-old body
pulls me into the day. He retracts his legs leaving no feet
to stand on. Henry runs in with wooden cars, Sully grounded by his voice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment